Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A Morning Emergency

Yesterday morning I was awakened by a chorus of screeching crows. Sure, they were probably just "cah-ing", but at 5:00 in the morning it was not appreciated. It was only a few minutes after John had left for the day, so I couldn't imagine what was going on out there. I tried to ignore it, but finally I got up and looked out the window to see what was amiss. And there was a fox circling my chicken coop!! The poor girlies inside were clucking away and trying to fly, but of course were locked in. The fox was running around, trying to find a hole in our fence and a way in to our chickens. We don't own any guns, but usually we have some firecrackers around or something loud that would scare the fox away (because my husband really enjoys things that go boom).

Not wanting to waste time, I threw on my shoes and opened the front door. The fox looked at me, and kept looking for a way inside the coop. So I took a few steps outside, and the fox ran away. Which is a real good thing, because though I had put shoes on, I had neglected to put pants on. Beyond running outside in my underwear, I had no real plan for getting rid of this fox. Luckily, it has not been back since, but we're always on the lookout and no longer leave them running around when we're not home. Call us overprotective, but we just love them. And they love John (they're warming up to me).

No comments:

Post a Comment